Facade of harbour pines heritage listed hall

January 28, 2020

The Lonely Pine
with Audrey Leuty


NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS.   Made any? Good luck in keeping them!


(a leap year)

Best wishes for the New Year. May you have…

12 months of Happiness

32 weeks of Fun

366 days of Success

8784 hours of Good Health

527,040 minutes of Good Luck

31,622,400 seconds of Joy, Love and Peace.


Thanks to Molly for her maths exercise.

SOCIAL NEWS  we closed the year with a well attended Happy Hour.

January 26th is Australia Day and  there will be the usual social evening in the Hall, watch out for more details.  

JANUARY BIRTHDAYS to all those who celebrate their birthday this month. Have a great day.

AND WEDDING BELLS RANG  Saturday the 14th of December was a great day. Paul and Liz married at St Francis Xavier’s Cathedral.  Bells rang, flowers bloomed and everybody joined in. Thanks to many Harbour Pines residents and several family coming to provide and help celebrate a very special day.  Afterwards at the centre music played, speeches praised and the food and wine flowed. A great day in our lives and thanks to all who contributed.

Paul and Liz.

Residents are invited to a Celebration Dinner for this happy couple on January 18t. . Be sure your name is on the list in the Hall by January 10th.

A big thankyou TO THE BIN SHIFTERS.

AND  a big thankyou to those who RECYCLE our papers and plastic bottles.

A bloke  is drunk after his NY celebrations and wisely decides to walk home.  As he is walking unsteadily along he is stopped by a copper. “What are you doing walking at 2.00in the morning?”  “ Going to a lecture” the man replies. “Whose giving the lecture?” asks the copper. “My wife!” he replies.


I remember when I first went to school my older brother Arnold Jupp and I walked the 41/2 miles from our family farm at Rushy Gully to Nabawa .: As our family grew we took the horse and sulky.   Before we left each morning we had farm chores to do including miking cows. I did well at school but was happy to leave at 14 years old and from then I worked on the farm. Helped my mother and others, through sickness and often going to help out with other families in the district.

It was whilst working at the Nabawa Hotel helping Mrs Heynson in the kitchen that I first set eyes on my future husband Maitlad Gray. He had returned from the war in 1946 and we were married at St George’s Church in Bluff Point in 1948.  After the war Mait had gone into partnership with his two brothers and their father who farmed in Naraling.  When they purchased an adjoining property Hungerfords from Fred and Esme Hayward Mait and I moved onto that farm.  

The farmhouse had been unoccupied for some time and was a bit run down. It was a   two bed roomed, unlined, weatherboard place with corrugated iron roof. Maitland and his father Luke did some renovations and lined the kitchen with brown Masonite which we painted a light green and we moved our little bit of furniture in. No power and only tank water. We had kerosene lamps, a Coolgardie safe and snakes. Lots of black ones. I was always anxious for our two daughters Noelene and Cheryl especially when they were crawling. The girls grew up on the farm and then when they went to high school in Geraldton they boarded at Dellahale.  

To boost our income we kept chooks and sold eggs to the marketing board and trapped and skinned rabbits. There were plenty of them.  .

In time Mait’s brothers left the farm and moved on with their families leaving Mait and his father to run the whole farm until his parents moved into town and then Mait worked the whole farm himself,  We moved onto the main farm where there was a new farm house built by GBC and very importantly a new shearing shed as the flocks had grown and we needed to employ teams of shearers. I cooked for the men and did my share of the farm work.

Farming was heavy work in those days and when Mait became unable to do the work we sold up in 1972 and moved into town building a home at Sunset Beach. Mait went to work for Elders as a storeman and worked there for 13 years.  Our girls had left high school by then and gone onto tertiary education. Mait was a keen sportsman all his life and it was then that both he and I joined the golf club.

My father died and my mother moved from Rushy Gully into a house at Bluff Point with my younger brother Kevin.  When my mother died suddenly in 1976 Kevin moved in with us. Caring for him took up quite a lot of time and so I never really got very far with my golf and although I had joined the bowling club there wasn’t much opportunity to play.

Mait died in 2003 and by this time Kevin had moved into sheltered housing and I stayed on in the house at Sunset. I loved that house but in time the large garden became too much and I looked around for somewhere smaller in town. Luckily I heard about a unit for sale at Harbour Pines.  I moved in here in  2007 and I love it.  


Paddy enters a chemist shop “I want a deodorant” “Ball or aerosol” asked the chemist? “No said Paddy  “ Armpits”