Facade of harbour pines heritage listed hall

August 18, 2020

The Lonely Pine
with Audrey Leuty




A happy crowd gathered in the Hall for a Bring and ShareCasserole tea on Saturday 25th. Our first social evening for manymonths due to the virus. The usual wonderful variety of food was available andenjoyed by all.  We welcomed visitorsDavid and Carol Hughen, Terry and Leonie’s son and daughter-in-law making theirfirst stop on a proposed two year journey around Australia.

Justin was the lucky winner of a bottle of wine kindlydonated by Louisa.

Terry reminded us of the importance of sanitising our hands whenever we went into the Hall andobserving ‘social distancing’.



The Social Committee has planned a BUS TRIP and LUNCH at OAKABELLA on FRIDAY August 28th.  

We have secured a comfortable 49 seater Coach to take us toOakabella for a Cruise Ship lunch. (Possibly the only CSL you will get thisyear). This is a light meal of sandwiches, homemade sausage rolls, scones andfruit. Drinks extra.  The cost of thetrip is $20. This includes a small subsidy towards the cost of the bus which isbeing financed by Happy Hour. This should be a great day out at a reasonablecost. The bus will leave here at 10.30 amhome by 3.00-pm.  List in the Hallfor names and there’s room for friends (andyour walker.)



Special Happy Hour on Monday 7th September5.00pm.  Bring a plate of fingerfood.  



The Long Call is a detective fiction novel published in 2019written by Ann Cleves, the Award winning author of Vera and Shetland twoprogrammes currently on ABC TV.  AnnCleves books are available at the Residency library along with some 35,000other books and numerous DVDs.


The butcher stillremembers that fateful day when the young woman had come into the shopannouncing that the baby boy in her arms was his. By way of support, hegrudgingly agreed

to provide the womanwith free meat until the child turned 18 and had been counting down the yearsever since.

Finally the day beforehis 18th birthday the child came into collect some steaks and thebutcher told him “Well mate, you can go and tell your mother that’s the lastfree meat you are getting from me. I just wish I could see the expression onher face”

“Mister, she told meto tell you she’s been getting free milk, bread and groceries for the past 18years, and she wished she could see the expression on your face.”





I was born In April 1933 at Basket Range, South Australia;the first child of a family of 5 to Ted and Margaret Rossi.  My parents were hard working people but workwas hard to find and so we moved around quite a bit in my early years andduring that time we came by sea to WA.

I attended St Francis Xavier Convent in Armadale a threemile walk each way. I remember the nuns were very strict. By this time my parentswere working for poultry farmer Mr Franchi and I would have to work also when Igot home from school. Feeding the chooks or helping neighbours with houseworkand ironing. My money helped feed the family.

At 11 years old I graduated to St Josephs at Victoria Squaretravelling into Pertheach day on the train. I was keen on sports playing netball, basketball andtennis but only in school hours. I still had to work after school like mostkids did in those days.

I obtained a Diploma in Dressmaking: also loved dancingskating and fancy work.

At 13 I left school to work fulltime on the poultry farm andthen later in Armadale in the Railway Hotel and Blackburns Bakers.  

In 1950 I left home, took the train and after almost a daystravelling arrived at a small town in the midwest. Mullewa. I took a job withMrs Jeffries in her café/deli boarding with the family.

My grandmother came on a visit the next year and amongst thepeople she met was Ron Bone. She told me that that was the man I was going tomarry. It was an ‘arranged’ marriage.

Ron and I married in 1952 and went to live on his farm atNungulya (meaning good underground water) in a shed built of local sawn timberheld together with wire. After 18 months we were able to build a four roomedhouse of asbestos and corrugated iron. Twelve months later we had our firstchild Zetta.  Our only transport was an Austintruck but when Holdens brought out their car we jumped in and bought one. Oursecond child Brian was later to be diagnosed with Perthes disease; this meantfrequent trips to Perthfor treatment. I  cooked for the workmenand on weekends enjoyed tennis in summer and hockey in winter and alwaysfollowed the football.

Our family grew to four children with Shane and Justine andour farm had grown to two totalling 22,000 acres. Our Austin truck had grown also to a tractor,tractor pulled harvester, car and two trucks. I also bought a colour TV of whichRon did not approve.  Tourists, locals,friends and family were constant visitors to the farm. Our hospitality and thewreath flowers were a great attraction

As the boys took over the farm Ron and I began a busyretirement. I took up bowls, acted as guide to the Monsignor Hawe’s church andpriesthouse. We became life members of the football club and enjoyed racing andbreeding greyhounda and sheepdogs.

In 1968 we were awarded joint Citizens of the Year.

In August 1999 Ron celebrated his 80th birthdaywith a party at the Mullewa bowling club. Two weeks later, on Father’s Day, hedied suddenly in his sleep. We had been married 48 years.

Another disaster was to come two years later when the houseat Nungulya burnt to the ground sparing nothing.  All the history, photos, memorabilia of Ron,family and friends had gone.

After some months and much discussion a house was bought inTarcoola and I moved into Geraldton.

I quickly settled into life in the city; continuing to playbowls, follow the football and became a guide at the Cathedral; moving intoHarbour Pines in 2019. I love people and am very happy just keeping busy in thevillage and out.  I have 6 grandchildrenand 4 great grandchildren. (I love snazzy shoes!)





FAMILY TIES areprecious threads, no matter where we roam. They draw us close to those we loveand pull our hearts toward home.    KateKnapp.



Best wishes if you celebrate a birthday or anniversaryduring August. Justin will be celebrating the big ‘O’ on the 24th.



I recently went down to Perth with my son and daughter-in-law for mybrother in law’s 90th birthday.  We leftat 2.00pm and got to some friends at Attadale and 8.00pm and stayed thereovernight. The next day my family took me to Carlislewhere my brother-in-law lives in a retirement village and being more my agegroup I was comfortable with them. It was my brother-in-law Jim’s 90th birthdayon 4th August and mine is coming up on 24th.  Hence he is ‘big brother’ and I am ‘littlebrother’.  

Jim has had a very interesting life. His father went from Scotland to Thailandto start the Thai Railway and Steamship Company of Thailand. He married a Thai girland had several sons.. Jim was educated in Thailandand when he finished school there his father sent him to England where he joined the RAFArmy Division. He became a sergeant rifleman instructor. He was subsequentlystationed in Germany.There he met and married a Swedish girl. He was transferred to Scotland and later to Cyprus.  Jim and his wife had two sons and twodaughters.

On discharge from the RAF he got a job in Singapore.  After a few years there he migrated to Australiaand worked in the north of WA before coming to live in Geraldton where all hischildren were schooled.

Needless to say his 90th had to be celebrated ina Thai restaurant. His son in Melbournedid quite a bit of the organising being the eldest but of course he couldn’t behere.  Jim’s other children helped himcelebrate along with lots of nieces, nephews and friends.  A good time was had by all.

I came home the next day ready for a break!  And was glad to be back home.

                                                                                                                       J.E. D



From Peter R in Darwin.Enjoying looking after his grandchildren but missing his friends in HarbourPines.


When a man attempted to siphon diesel from a motor home parked on alocal street he got more than he bargained for. Polis arrived at the scenefinding a very sick man curled up next to the motor near a pile of spilledsewage, You guessed it!  He’d put thehose into the wrong tank. The owner of the motor home decided not to presscharges. Thought the would be thief had got more than he’d bargained foranyway.


In a bar one night aman was drinking heavily. He’d drink a vodka, walk out to the balcony and jumpoff. Minutes later he’d be back again and repeat the whole process. Anothercustomer in the bar asked the guy how he could keep jumping off the balconywithout hurting himself. “It’s easy” he replied. “This new brand of vodkaprovides buoyancy so that when I get near the ground I slow down and landgently.”

“Wow” thought theother guy. “I’ve got to try this.”So he took a swig of vodka, went out to thebalcony and jumped off. SPLATT! He’s dead

The bartender lookedover to the other guy and said “Superman. You’re a real arsehole when you’redrunk.”



Yesterday my husband thought he saw a cockroach in the kitchen. He sprayedeverything down and cleaned thoroughly. Today I’m putting the cockroach in thebathroom.





I’ve just discovered my age group. I am a SEENAGER. (senior teenager)

I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, 55-60 years later. Idon’t have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I have myown pad. I don’t have a curfew.  I have adriver’s licence and my own car.

I have an ID that gets me into bars and the wine store; I like the winestore best. The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant,they aren’t scared of anything, and they’ve been blessed with living this long.Why be scared? And I don’t have acne.

Older people often go into another room to get something and when theyget there, they stand wondering what they went for. It is NOT a memory problem.It is nature’s way of making older people do more exercise.                                                                                                                            Sothere!





The vegie garden islooking a bit sad these days but it’s a BIGTHANKYOU to Peter for all those fresh veg during the season. Thanks must goalso to all those who shift bins on Thursdays with a special THANKS to Ning.







I want to live a simple life

Without stress or worry

I don’t need a lot of“stuff”

I just want to be happy!